Gastric sleeve surgery is laparoscopic surgery to lose weight. It is an operation that has its advantages and risks, like all others, and that is focused on patients with morbid obesity, who have a BMI greater than 40, or those who suffer from severe obesity, with a BMI between 30 and 40, and who suffer from some type of disease that can benefit from weight loss, such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, or heart disease, among others.
FEATURES OF THE GASTRIC SLEEVE OPERATION
The gastric sleeve operation consists of the removal of a part of the stomach. This is left with a narrow tube shape, which will have a capacity of about 150 cubic centimetres, which causes a restrictive effect and decreases the patient’s appetite. In addition, the intervention has other interesting characteristics:
- A minimally invasive procedure: as it is laparoscopic surgery, it only leaves very small scars on the abdomen.
- A quick recovery: in just two or three days the patient can leave the hospital and follow the diet prescribed by the doctors.
- Great weight loss: this operation is recommended for those who must lose a lot of weight.
- Definitive stomach reduction: this type of intervention is characterized by the fact that the stomach does not regain its previous size.
- The digestion process does not change: the gastric sleeve operation does not change the usual digestion process, thus allowing better absorption of all the nutrients that pass through the stomach with food.
- More Sensitivity to Certain Foods: The newly reduced stomach will be more sensitive to certain foods that are not sufficiently chewed or processed. Therefore, eating slowly and consciously is essential.
In Laparoscopic Weight Loss Surgery, you can know all the information you need about the gastric sleeve operation to know if it is the most appropriate procedure in your specific case. It is very important to go to a specialist to find the solution to your problem. Get in contact with us!