The gastric sleeve surgery is a bariatric intervention is indicated for people suffering from morbid obesity and have been able to lose weight through other methods. It is an operation that can be of great help for patients who are very overweight and who suffer from serious health problems caused by it. Due to the importance of a surgery of this type, it is necessary to fulfill a series of requirements to be able to undergo it. We explain them below.
REQUIREMENTS TO BE ABLE TO DO GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY
In order to be a candidate for gastric sleeve surgery, the following conditions must be met:
- Suffering from severe obesity, with a body mass index of 40 or even higher, with or without associated pathologies. It is also an intervention indicated for patients who do not become morbidly obese, who have a BMI between 35 and 40, and who have associated diseases such as hypertension or diabetes.
- Be between 18 and 65 years old. In some selected cases, it is also possible to perform the intervention on those under 18 or over 65.
- Have a favorable psychiatric report. The patient must be committed and motivated to change their habits related to food and physical exercise in the long term, as well as to know all the information about the surgery and its risks.
- There must be demonstrated weight loss after very low-calorie diets.
- Sign a consent after receiving all the information about the intervention.
- Accept lifetime medical checks. After the surgery, it is also necessary to bear in mind that you have to follow a rigorous diet and practice sports on a regular basis.
In Laparoscopic Weight Loss Surgery, we always recommend going to professional doctors to be able to evaluate each case individually, see what type of intervention is the most appropriate and check that the patient is a correct candidate to perform it. Following all medical recommendations is very important to achieve a good result and avoid unnecessary risks.